Sunday, March 12, 2017

Cough, cough

Dh is at work today and as today is cheap hydro/electricity day, I thought I would put my oven onto self clean.
For those of you not in the know, what happens the oven heats up to some crazy temperature and turns all the stuck on bits to ash.  Three hours later when the door has unlocked you take a cloth and wipe it all out.  NO chemicals, just a lot of heat......

However despite no chemical smell and despite my oven not being overly dirty it still stinks while you are doing it, and I have to have the extractor fan on, so that is why it's helpful that dh is not about with his bad chest.  I love my self clean option as it kills my hands having to scrub things by hand now.

Do you have a self clean oven or do you have to clean it all by hand?

12 comments:

Winifred said...

I used to have an electric one years ago & it did smell.

Now I'm using gas I don't have that option. My husband cleans the cooker, it's one of the very few things he does around the house so I won't stop him! The sides don't seem to get too bad it's mainly the bottom when he puts too much oil in the Yorkshire puddings and they drip over. He's the Sunday dinner cook, not me! Well he's better at it than I am.

You are really thoughtful doing it when he's out Gill!

Bee Lady said...

I just had this conversation with my Mom a couple of days ago. I wouldn't have anything but self-cleaning. She felt like the oven got too hot, so she doesn't have self-cleaning. She enjoys cleaning house though, and I don't. Oh, and mine is gas.

Cindy

Jane said...

I've had both - right now I have a non-self cleaning stove but will definitely replace it with a self clean. It's getting close to being 20 years old but continues to work well so I'll just have to wait.

Terra said...

I have an oven that does not have that self-clean feature. Now I am interested in your comment of a "cheap electricity" day. We don't have that where I live in California.

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

Gotta love the cheap day electricity rates. I've got a self clean oven and it works great.

Karen said...

I have a really basic electric stove and it is GROSS right now!

Karyn said...

I have self clean and love it, but it is hot and stinky while it runs...and takes a lot big time. I don't use it too often ��

William Kendall said...

So that's what it means!

angela said...

Ohhh fancy. Nope. I gotta clean it the old fashioned way. Elbow grease

Betsy said...

Mine is self cleaning and gets very hot and smelly so I only use it when I can open the doors and windows to keep the house aired out, I do love it though. Much better than scrubbing or the aerosol cleaners.
Blessings,
Betsy

Evelyn said...

I wish i had one and I wish we had cheap electricity days too!

Maggie said...

It's good to know that this works as when they fit my new kitchen this is
what i've gone for.

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...