Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Bread Sauce and Old Fashioned Stuffing Recipes....

The bread sauce recipe is a British one, I have no idea where I got it from, but have been using it for years. The stuffing/dressing recipe I got from the Toronto Sun Newspaper not long after we moved here from Britain, again I have been using this same recipe for years.

I have no photos of either of these recipes, sorry.

Bread Sauce

Ingredients:

1 large onion, chopped
little dripping or butter
3/4 pint (1 1/2 cups) milk
1/4 pint (1/2 cup) chicken stock
6 oz stale white bread, cut of crusts and cut into chunks
salt, pepper and freshly grated nutmeg
1 tbsp chopped parsley (optional)

Fry the onion gently in the dripping or butter until softened. Add the milk, stock, bread and seasonings. Cook very slowly until the sauce has thickened.

Adjust the seasonings to taste and keep sauce warm. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.

Old Fashioned Stuffing

Ingredients:

1/4 cup of butter or marg
2 medium onions, finely chopped
3 - 4 stalks celery, finely chopped (I of course never include these)
9 cups day old bread, crust removed and cubed
2 tsp each sage and savory
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 - 1 cup chicken broth or giblet stock
1 lb sausage meat, browned and drained

Melt butter in large fry pan, add onions and cook until tender, around 5 minutes. Add celery and cook for a further 2 minutes. Pour over bread in a large bowl, stir in seasonings and sausage meat. Gradually stir in broth until moistened, but not wet.

Makes enough to stuff a 12 lb turkey.

*****MAKE A MENTAL NOTE TO YOURSELF NOT TO THROW OUT YOUR CHRISTMAS CARDS AFTER CHRISTMAS, AS I WANT YOU TO USE THEM FOR SOMETHING, MORE ON THIS AFTER CHRISTMAS****

11 comments:

Lakeland Jo said...

I might just try that bread sauce recipe... I love it.
I used your idea for 'getting close to Christmas' on my blog. You are always full of such good ideas.

Clippy Mat said...

i always hate throwing out the christmas cards. so what can it be?
i'm waiting for that one.
;-)

The Good Life in Virginia said...

bread sauce recipe sounds interesting...is it a thick consistency like dressing/stuffing? just what is it like when done?

i used to keep christmas cards...and somehow got out of doing it...just so much paper...lol.

but, i will try and keep cards this year...and see what you have to share with us.

have a wonderful day and keep warm.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Thanks for the bread sauce recipe Gill. I do have one but like to try something different. We love it.

I'll be hanging onto my cards then.

A x

Gill - That British Woman said...

thanks for all your comments. The bread sauce is worth a try.

Gill

Heather said...

I love bread sauce! My Scottish friend makes it by letting it sit on the vent burner al afternoon long(the one the oven vents through) and it is DELICIOUS! I'm going to try your recipe! Thank you!!

Being British, you don't happen to have one for Eccles cakes, do you ? :o)

Winifred said...

Thanks Gill.

So we're not recycling our cards this year?

Look forward to hearing what's in the pipline for them.

Gill - That British Woman said...

Heather, here is a link for Eccles cakes, I don't like them so have never made them before:

http://www.salford.gov.uk/living/yourcom/salfordlife/aboutsalford/salfordlocalhistory/localhistory-eccles/ecclescakes.htm

Gill

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Hi Gill ! I have missed you girl !
The bread sauce sounds so good.I am going to save it .

Sandi McBride said...

The bread sauce recipe...I've already copied and printed it out, girl! I just love new recipes and try everyone I've ever copied...thanks for these. Hope that your Christmas is coming along wonderfully!!
Sandi

Heather said...

Thank you! When I make the eccles I'll comment and let you know how they turned out. I love them!!!

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...