Sunday, August 31, 2008

Tuna Macaroni Casserole

I posted this site the other day and decided to make this recipe from there. Its basically a jazzed up mac and cheese but we enjoyed it as it made a change.

Ingredients (serves 4)
145g (1 cup) macaroni pasta
1 tablespoon butter
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 cups skim milk
1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
1/2 cup grated light tasty cheese
185g can tuna in spring water, drained
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
1/2 cup wholegrain breadcrumbs



Pop pasta into boiling water and cook until ready.

Put butter in a pan along with the chopped onion and cook until soft.


Add flour, and stir for a minute.



Gradually add milk, stirring all the time to make a white sauce.



Add mustard:



Add tuna:




Add Cheese:



Add parsley:



Add cooked and drained pasta:



I then had a brain wave, as I didn't have any old bread for breadcrumbs, but I did have some wholewheat Ritz chips. So I crushed some of those up and used them instead of the breadcrumbs.



Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in a 180o C or 350 oF oven, until golden brown. Serve with garlic bread, steamed vegetables or a salad.



4 comments:

Hadriana's Treasures said...

I'll have a look at this again. My cooking skills are pretty basic. So these photos and step by step descriptions are a godsend to the likes of me!

swilek said...

thank you for stopping by my blog! i am enjoying yours, esp. this recipe! yummy-will have to try it! so you have never been to the oshawa/whitby area...you'll have to come for a visit, esp. whitby since it is twinned with whitby , england!:) i have been to whitby , england and love it...one reason i love watching heartbeat!

Lib said...

Hi Gill,
Looks good I make this from time to time a little different recipe.
TOday I'm making mac&cheese with ham and green peas.
Hope you have a great day!
Blessins',Lib

Gill - That British Woman said...

thanks to you all for your comments, I have left comments on all your blogs.

Gill

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...