Sunday, August 17, 2008

Cheltenham Badlands......

is not far from where we live. “Badlands is a geologic term for an area of soft rock devoid of vegetation and soil cover that has become molded into a rolling landscape of rounded hills and gullies. Such areas are rare in Ontario and this is one of the best examples. They exhibit the reddish hue of the Queenston Shale that forms them. It is the presence of iron oxide in the shale that accounts for the red colour. The narrow greenish bands that can be seen throughout the shale are due to the change of red iron oxide (iron III) to green iron oxide (iron II) brought on by the circulating groundwater. The relatively soft shale is essentially clay and easily eroded by water. " quoted from this site

Now normally they look a lot redder, but we have had so much rain this year and we had a lot of rain overnight, so they look darker and more browner than they normally look. My photo's don't do them justice, there are other photo's on the Internet, and here is a site to see a better photo

Here are my photo's.






4 comments:

Lib said...

Wow, how interesting,I've never seen anything like this before.Thanks for sharing and telling about "Cheltenham Badlands":o)

About your last post ,I need to made det. this wk. I'm going to add a bottle of cheap O fabric softner, have you added any to yours?I know you can buy det. W/ softner in it. I pour softner into a container and put a soft cloth in the when I put clothes in the dryer squeeze it out and put in the dryer as a dryer sheet.But now days hanging more and more on the line to dry ,I do put the cloth in the rinse cycle.Thanks!
Blessins',Lib

Gill - That British Woman said...

No I didn't I was going to research an alternative to fabric softener as well.

Gill

please sir said...

These are so neat looking - thanks for sharing your pictures!

cheshire wife said...

We are having a lot of rain in England too.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...