Saturday, August 2, 2008

Another case of sticker shock...........

Dh drove me to Food Basics this afternoon, and for those of you who don't know, Food Basics is a low end/basic grocery store, nothing fancy. They had Heinz Baked Beans on at 49 cents so wanted to get those, sold out.

However they also had bread on for 2/$5, that's $2.50 a loaf, which is crazy. I had 50 cent coupons, luckily, as I picked up six loaves of bread. Dh takes sandwiches for lunch and we eat quite a bit of bread, plus I like to have bread in the freezer. So out of my grocery total of $22.62, $12 was just for six loaves of bread. Granted I probably won't need to buy bread for two to three weeks, but even so.

I honestly don't know how people manage to feed a family on less than $100 a week? I know I have spent over $50 this week, and I still need fruit for dh's lunches next week.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Priced are the worst these days. Its getting harder & harder. I did manage to buy 2 weeks of groceries (less the mid-week trip for fruit & veggies) for $160 last week... with $130 in coupons that is! I have no idea how on earth I would make ends meet without coupons though!

Evelyn said...

I can't feed our family of 4, including a teen boy and pre teen boy, for less than 200 a week. I try and I don't buy alot of convenience foods unless they are on sale cheaper than it is to make it. I spend 13 dollars a week on milk! I find it hard to get decent coupons and we rarely have sales on staples. I would love to save but can't see my way around it. evelyn

CannedAm said...

The bread prices are insane aren't they? No Frills has kept Wonder+ at 1.99, which is great. I've actually been eating the W+ whole wheat, though I prefer whole grain. I started making our own, despite the high price of flour. When I can't get the Wonder+ for less than 2.19, I make my own.

Gill - That British Woman said...

I am glad I am not the only one who is finding the price of groceries crazy........

Gill

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...